Wednesday, September 28, 2011

planning a wedding is a breeze

I could do it in my sleep…
If I had $100,000 to spend on it and an extra $30,000 to hire a wedding planner to take care of it all while I caught up on my beauty rest.

I took this wedding as a challenge (I admit for some selfish reasons) See, I have always prided myself on being able to throw a pretty damn good party (caution: mild horn tooting). Example, I threw a party in 2009 that over 2,000 people showed up to. The police even called my place of employment to threaten me with fines if I didn’t call it off (btw the party went on and in the end no one died and I was not fined). Anyways, so when we decided to try to plan a hell of a party for our wedding here in the states, I took the challenge knowing I had this in the bag!

I didn’t, I didn’t have it in the bag… I had a bag and I had a bunch of books and I had a lot of ideas and vision boards and magazines and I watched Bridezilla and My Fair Wedding and spent countless hours on every wedding blog known to man, but my execution was to shit.

We had a year and a half engagement, then we had a year and then out of no where we had 6 months... Still, I thought, I got this! I so got this... I watched several friends have quickie engagements and their weddings went off without a hitch, I figured if someone can throw something together in 3 months, so can I.

So time passed…

And passed…

And boy was I wrong; I so did not “got this”.

Then with some wedding soul searching we realized the real reason behind all of my procrastination (besides my passion for procrastination) is that I didn’t want a traditional wedding. The moment Jamie and I became engaged we had many talks about a dream destination wedding; it’s what we truly whole heartedly wanted from day one. I don’t know why we fought it so hard, well I kinda know why, because we wanted everyone we ever knew and loved to be able to come to our day and celebrate and we knew if we went away somewhere on an island our guestlist would be limited. So we tried, I tried, I really thought I had it in the bag.

Well, we gave up on the bag, and opted for a carryon instead… So now I can say “I got this! I got it in the carryon”! and we could not be more ecstatic to be going through with our dream destination wedding and although we will miss those that will not be able to make it, we know we will have something very special to share with everyone when we get back as husband and wife.

I gotta go start packing my carryon now, because trust me, it will take me 6 months to get it all to fit.















our wedding site

No comments:

Post a Comment