Wednesday, January 18, 2012

just breathe

It was 2006, I was sitting right outside the breakers in the Pacific, gazing in the distance towards the sandy beach full of sun soaking on-lookers. They weren’t watching me of course, they were there watching the semi-pro surfers that graced the San Diego beaches as part of their religion every morning, noon and evening. I admired their dedication to the sport. As a serial spectator, I finally decided this day would be the day I was going to brave the ocean alone, board in tow (this was after a grueling 20 minutes of trying to fit myself into an itty bitty piece of rubber they call a wet suit) I had a deep desire to understand what all the hype of surfing was about. Sure, it looked cool, but to do it every day and live by it seemed intense and yet, intriguing. Plus I was working my way into becoming a bonifide San Diegian and surfing was step 2 on my list (step 1 obviously being the actual move to San Diego).

As busy as the beach was and as busy as the lineup of surfers were that day, I took a few moments out there, rocking on my surfboard in a place that was completely unfamiliar to me, and I closed my eyes. All was silent, calm, the only thing I could hear was the air moving in and out of my lungs. I paid attention to the control I had over making my shallow breaths deeper. I was fully aware in that moment. I opened my eyes and I knew at that time what it felt like to just ‘be’. No thoughts, no worrying, just breathing.

Life is always bigger, better, faster. I know because I hear it, I see it and I feel it myself. I have noticed in my 30 years that the truly, genuinely, happy people are those that breathe… Those that become aware of their surroundings, live in the moment and apply priorities on the intangibles. They seek out the meaning of life, the power of now; stuff aside from being rich, skinny or famous. The moments that matter most to my heart are always met with three similar surroundings, my family, my friends and togetherness. Music comes in at a close fourth, if not a tie for third. I want to always make sure I practice being fully aware, shaking free of any expectations. I want to continue to sink my teeth into the endless dessert that life is serving up every moment of the day, week and years to come.

I want to breathe deep and live richly, with my mind full of blissful memories and my heart full of acceptance, forgiveness, love and a complete sense of happiness and being.

Thank you Jamie, for showing me all of this, without showing me anything at all.

Thank you for bringing the ocean into our home.

I cannot wait to marry you and to share this wild ride of life with our families, our future children and our old wrinkly selves.

1 comment:

  1. No. Thank you. With you I learn more and more everyday. The thing I've learned the most though is how lucky I am to have you in my life. I will never take that for granted.

    ReplyDelete