Tuesday, December 22, 2009

To care or not to care, that is the question

I have been battling this thought a lot lately... Even when starting this blog, I was worried that I was going to become too vulnerable and considered making it a private site of personal thoughts for myself (this is coming from a girl that has made her sister swear that if tragedy ever struck early she would immediately erase her google history, THEN call 911). I knew if I let people read this, I would be criticized for my thoughts, ridiculed about my writing style and worse of all... be judged. I am extremely indecisive when trying to figure out if I should care more about what people think or give a shit less. My first real experience battling this concern came at age 9; I was riding around in my sick huffy bike when the boy down the street came over to talk to me, I never felt completely comfortable on this 2 wheeled contraption, not sure why but I thought I peddled weird and was pretty insecure about it. I thought about showing him my "no hands" skills but instead decided to stop abruptly; my hands became so sweaty from the anxiety of making sure I was acting “normal and cute” that they slipped off the handle bars and I went face first into the gravel. Not only did I scrape my favorite oversized NKOTB pin and rip up my nice new white jacket, I did worse, I bruised my ego. It went full circle though; when I was 12, I stuffed my bra and forced the same boy to kiss me in front of my garage during a game of flash light tag. He lives with his boyfriend now, about 45 miles north of home. Boy, I showed him.

So anyways, what is the “what you think compared to what others think” ratio when judging your own personal character? I hear a lot of people say that it only matters what you think about yourself, yet I think I would feel pretty shitty if I knew others thought I was terrible person and made voodoo dolls out of spite of me. But I also have always been one to go against the grain and I’ve never settled for less than what I thought to be pretty awesome. So, a person in my position, I assume, should think more about what I think than what others think. Unfortunately I am a thinking being, a thinking being that thinks way to much. But I think I am going to make a conscious effort to think more of my thoughts and less of others. On a side note (old habits die hard) please don’t tell my old neighbor I stuffed my bra that day. I still believes he thinks I grew a cup size in under 8 hours.

1 comment:

  1. So the one thing I learned in the 6 years of art school I attended, going to 3 classes a day with 3 hours in each class of criticizing and having others criticize your art work....if its constructive try to use it, if its just opinion with no justification...fuck em'! Oh and also, stay away from art school.

    ReplyDelete